marishna: (Teen Wolf - (209) Derek in tank)
marishna ([personal profile] marishna) wrote2016-05-27 11:52 pm
NSFW

Subject lines are hard when nothing's going on

Ventured out and about for the first time since Monday. I could have gone wherever I wanted this week, I'm cleared to drive, but I didn't particularly want to.

We didn't go far, just to the grocery store so I could pick up another prescription (yeah, I have a bladder infection, blerch) and some other bits. Then we picked up dinner from 5 Guys because I've been craving a burger. I think my iron is down again because I've eaten almost a whole package of stew meat this week and now the craving for burgers. What fun.

What's more is that apparently this infection I have is a strain that could possibly only be treated by all the meds I'm allergic to. I can basically only take sulfa drugs to treat anything and this strain of infection might not respond to those. I've never heard of an infection not being treated by an antibiotic (except in cases when people take so much penicillin it no longer works for them but that's one of my allergies). Science side of LJ? Any thoughts?

It hasn't been a great week, weather-wise. It's been raining all week and even today when it was supposed to be about 20 and only partly cloudy it rained hard all day and thundered a lot. Most storms here are more lightning than thunder (which is super cool when it gets really hot and we get chain lightning across the prairie) so it's been a weird week. But we need the rain because we've had a dry, dry year and even the winter was incredibly barren of any precipitation.

Despite all my time off I'm having trouble focusing on anything creative beyond a few icons here and there. I'd like to get some writing done so I have to try to get into that headspace. I have so MUCH time off that I'm too easily distracted by EVERYTHING else, LOL.

[identity profile] theron09.livejournal.com 2016-05-28 08:31 am (UTC)(link)
I have no idea about the science side but I hope your infection clears up soon - never nice to feel yuck.

the_rck: (Default)

[personal profile] the_rck 2016-05-28 01:28 pm (UTC)(link)
Antibiotic resistant bacteria are becoming more and more common. The problem is made worse by people taking antibiotics for things that don't need antibiotics and by factory farms that give healthy animals antibiotics in order to make them gain weight faster. Basically, the more often bacteria are exposed to a specific antibiotic, the more likely there are to be survivors that are resistant that medication. It's just natural selection.

I can't remember the exact estimate for when the antibiotics we currently have will no longer work at all, but it's a heck of a lot sooner than I'm comfortable with. Twenty years? Thirty years? I don't think it's more than that.

[identity profile] brunettepet.livejournal.com 2016-05-28 03:12 pm (UTC)(link)
Sorry you're still feeling so crappy.

[identity profile] snogged.livejournal.com 2016-05-28 04:05 pm (UTC)(link)
Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well.

I salute your burger choice though. Five Guys is amazing.

[identity profile] favoritexrecord.livejournal.com 2016-05-28 04:36 pm (UTC)(link)
Hope your infection clears up and you start to feel better soon!!

[identity profile] icecoldrain.livejournal.com 2016-05-28 06:52 pm (UTC)(link)
I hope that you feel better soon! Science side of LJ, I'm seconding therck. Antibiotic resistant strains are becoming more and more common these days. Basically, we're always fighting off bacteria with antibiotics. Eventually, new strains appear as they become resistant to the antibiotics and other treatment options that are currently available. Science is trying to find treatments for the new strains that are emerging, which is why we're starting to hear about antibiotic resistant strains of various curable infections more often than usual these days.

[identity profile] place-to-hide.livejournal.com 2016-05-29 02:35 am (UTC)(link)
I hope you feel better!

[identity profile] ragnarok-08.livejournal.com 2016-05-29 05:42 am (UTC)(link)
I hope you feel better soon.